C1 – URBAN PLANNERS CAPACITY BUILDING FOR DESIGNING AND IMPLEMENTATION OF URBAN CLIMATE GREEN ASSET STRATEGY
The main goal of this action is to increase the knowledge base and technical-theoretical skills of the public planners through a tailored capacity building process and the activation of a co-planning process with key stakeholders for the formulation and implementation of the Urban Climate Green Asset Strategy.
C.1.1 – Urban planners capacity building
The capacity building will be based on:
C.1.2 – Urban Climate Green Assets Strategy designing
1. short basic courses (8 session of 4 hours each) managed by professors and researchers of the university and with the engagement of international lecturers:
2. The designing of on a e-learning module, available on the Web platform, with all the contents and learning support materials threated in the frame of the above listed training courses and on specific arguments and topics on demand.
In each pilot Municipality it will be organized a Study Group with urban planners, administration staff, consultants, technicians in charge of urban trees management, professors and researchers of Universities and Research Centres to discuss the existing data on the different capacity of the tree’s species, in particular the native ones, to provide climate services (CO2 sequestration, shadows etc).
Three public forum will be organized with the aim to engage local stakeholders in the planning process,
C.1.3 – Urban Climate Green Assets Strategy pilot application
In each pilot municipalities, the Strategy will be implemented with different strategies and agreements in pilot urban green areas.
C2 – CITIZENS IN URBAN CLIMATE ACTION
The aim of the action is the direct engagement of the citizens in the Urban Climate Green Assets Strategy through the following process:
C.2.1 Citizens awareness
10 thematic walks will be organized in urban areas characterized by different structural and ecosystem characteristics.
The walks will be leaded by technical expert on the theme and managed through an interactive approach aimed at raising doubts from participants and animate common discussion on the problem and possible solutions.
C.2.2 Citizen engagement in Green Asset census and monitoring
The citizens will be directly engaged in the census and monitoring of the of urban Green areas using the web app.
In order to enable them to use all the App it will be organised specific training activities organized in 5 theoretical-practical training days during which citizens will be accompanied in the green spaces previously selected to receive information on the use of the App in order to become the future censors of urban green spaces.
C.2.3 Citizen engagement in public and private Green Asset management
The action consist in supporting the application of Urban Climate Green Asset Strategy in all the area not directly managed by the public.
The action will cover three type of areas:
- green spaces owned by private and not open to public (i.e. private gardens etc.)
- green spaces owned by private but accessible to citizens or customers (i.e. parking in shopping centres, exhibition areas etc)
- selected green area owned by public where will be experimented public private management agreement
C3 – CLIMATE EDUCATIONAL
The action is aimed at designing and pilot apply national and international education and academic paths to unable young generations of urban citizens to become conscious of their potential in containing climate change and to adopt climate and environmental responsible behaviours.
C.3.1 Module designing and integration in Education, training and academic planning
For the education system, in each municipality it will be created a Work group composed by municipal technicians, technical experts (botanic, agronomist, etc) school managers and didactic responsible in charge of designing the module for each education and academic level. Each module will identify: didactic contents, methodological approach, duration of the modules, division between theoretical and practical activities, other specific activities organization such as international exchange, school’s competition and internship.
Each module will also foresee specific field actions aimed at showing the application of the census methodology and phenological observation in the created PMA (A3), in particular the students of the secondary schools will be in charge of the monitoring the 3 PMA and the data reporting. As for the academic system the project engaged universities will design a multidisciplinary academic module, which will integrate the academic path of different faculties: engineering, architects, biology and natural sciences, agronomy, mathematics, physics and chemistry, economy.
C.3.2 Testing of new module
From the second year of the project the module will be concretely tested in the different selected education and academic level.
C4 – BUSINESS IN URBAN CLIMATE ACTIONS
The action is aimed at increasing the awareness of the different business sectors present in the urban areas regarding the benefit for their business and for the Urban Community to actively participate in the Urban Climate Green Asset Strategy planting and maintaining trees in private places also for public use (i.e. shopping centres, condominiums, etc.)
C.4.1 Business awareness
For business, sustainability and in particular Zero Emissions strategy can mean greater competitiveness and represents a continuation of its inevitable drive towards efficiency. The importance of this Strategy increases where there is local shared strategy promoted by local authorities and by citizens.
The activity will be based on:
• Workshops addressed to 4 main business sectors (industry, tourism, retail, transport) regarding the impact of Climate Change on the Urban environment.
• The creation in the platform (A.4) of a calculator to estimate the GHG emission. The data will be used to discuss and design with the stakeholders a framework of incentives to reduce the related emission and pollution by planting and maintaining new trees.
C.4.3 Pilot application of new regulatory and incentive measures
The working group will have the task of drawing up the framework of incentives and rules to encourage the reduction of GHG emission and urban warming through investment in public and private green asset. The draft document will also contain successful cases implemented in pilot cities, as in the case of Bologna through LIFE GAIA, or in other European or International cities or regions. The working groups in the pilot Municipality will be in continuous in contact and will share the respective proposals.
C.4.2 Incentive system designing with local business
In the pilot municipalities the new regulatory and incentive system will be pilot adopted following a two-folds strategy:
- Compensation measure applied to Public event organization and creation of new medium-big scale productive and business unit. The action will foresee the estimation of GHG emission and the identification of measures to compensate, partially or totally the emission through plantation and contribution to management of new tree in the identified areas;
- Zero emission voluntary programme. Publication of a public call for the selection of pilot activities which voluntaries join to a programme for the monitoring of the emission related to their activities and implementation of compensation measures through investment in green asset. The positive impact of the action will be assessed by a LCA and certified by the municipality
C5 – REPLICABILITY AND TRANSFERABILITY
This action is aimed at concretely transfer the model to other 4 identified cities with different characteristics; 2 in Italy, 1 in Portugal and 1 in Greece. Starting from the lesson learnt during the designing and pilot implementation of the Urban Climate Green Asset Strategy in the 4 pilot municipalities, it will be activated a peer to peer transfer in 4 transfer municipalities where will be created the condition for the applicability of the model after project end.
C.5.1 Urban green asset characterization and PMA creation in Transfer cities
In parallel with the application of the Urban Climate Green Asset Strategy in the four pilot municipalities, 4 transfer cities will be selected, introduced to the project approach and concretely engaged in the activities.
The transfer cities will be selected among urban context presenting different characteristic from the pilot cities in terms of ecological, socio-economic and environmental condition.
In the identified 4 municipalities, 2 in Italy, 1 in Portugal and 1 in Greece.
The activities will be carried out with the direct engagement of the technicians of the transfer municipalities
C.5.2 Designing of Urban Climate Green Asset Strategy in Transfer cities
The urban planners and technicians will be involved in specific training session of 12 hours on:
• the function of urban green in the Urban ecosystem
• the application of the ecosystem approach in planning and managing urban green area.
• the use of the Urban green heritage management system in the designing of the Urban Climate Green Asset Strategy